Friday, May 09, 2008

Why didn't Tuckmac sleep on Wednesday night.

A scary thing happened around 1:00am in the morning VERY early Thursday.

I smelled something 'burning' when I had taken my puppy for his walk. But, you know... It smelled like someone had burned food. When living in an apartment building, you get used to stuff like that.

Then, about 5 minutes later, one of our neighbours knocked on our door, asking if we had burned anything... As we hadn't, we said no... He went away.

Soon, however, we heard what sounded like a clock-radio alarm. You know... Do Dah... Do Dah... But it wasn't particularly loud, so we didn't really think much of it. Then... I heard a noise out our door, and opened it to see this:



For the record... Everything is now fine. My neighbour's door is still broken... And I'm fairly certain his flat still stinks, but... He's fine. His apartment is fine. OUR apartment is fine... And we all got off on a scare-only basis.

However, I have a couple of issues...

One: His alarm went off, and it didn't sound like an alarm... And wouldn't the apartments on BOTH sides of his perhaps have their alarms go off too? But no...

And Two: There are no fire-alarm triggers in the hallway... What happened, was that our other neighbour that eventually called the fire department... Was told to evacuate the building. He ran up and down every hall in our building, and there's no 'general alarm' anywhere to be found.

Isn't this a bit spooky? I mean, the scary thing about apartments, is that you and I and all our families have done something stupid in our kitchens. Now imagine living in a building with about 55 different flats... That's 55 to 110 people.... All of whom are more than able to be as silly as I have been in the past...

That's bad odds.

Damn. I may not sleep again!