Friday, May 26, 2006

Linky day today...

Okay, so... I know that I'm harping on this whole "Twins Stadium" thing...

I've mentioned that I'm upset with my legislators for funding a private enterprise without the consent of their electorate. I've talked about corporate-welfare, and the fact that I PERSONALLY do not like baseball, nor do I understand how people enjoy it either.

Anyhoo... A few more links about this issue, just to prove that I'm not the only person thinking about how strange all this is:

Ralph Nader (that's right, the guy who ran for president back in 2000, the guy who is SO "Green/Liberal" that conservatives actually get heartburn when he speaks...) Has written a letter to my Governor, Mr. Pawlenty.

Pawlenty should veto Stadium

Now, the sad thing... Is that there's NO WAY IN HELL that Pawlenty is going to veto this puppy. For all that he's completely avoided raising "taxes" throughout his term in office. (That doesn't count the fact that by cutting money to LOCAL governments, that they've had to raise THEIR taxes... Oh no... That wasn't a "tax hike" by the Gov. Nor were the added $.75 per pack of cigarettes, a TAX... NO... They were a "Health IMPACT FEE... Or some such bollocks...) But besides all that... He's going to sign this puppy... 'Cause, well... He's a SHIT head. Anything that I do not like, or refuse to countenance... My marvellous governor will sign the bill into law. GERRRRRRRRR.....

On that same topic... Okay... The legislature has "tabled" a stadium bill for the Vikings (our American Football team) and passed one for the Twins. And the one thing that everyone seems to be ignoring... Is... That the Twins SUCK! Okay... They're AWFUL... I mean... REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD!

And don't go off about "They won two World-series titles, in '87 and '90-whatever...

That was a LONG fricking time ago... I mean... Come ON folks... I remember Hrbeck and Puckett, et al... And so do MOST Minnesotans... But you know what? I can't name a SINGLE Twins Player. Not ONE. I have NO idea who's playing for my state. I've never been into baseball... But even THIS guy knew some of the players from the "old days" of glory. But now a days? Gah... I can't even THINK of one.

They're building this new stadium because according to the "powers that be..." The reason that the stands are always empty, and the Metrodome (current stadium) is killing the profitablility of the team... But a new stadium is NOT going to make a difference. It's not that the Metrodome sucks for Baseball (okay, it probably does) but the reason that the fans aren't coming isn't the dome... It's the fact that the team SUCKS DONKEY! Okay? That's why.

For a slightly less rhetoric filled and vehement statement, read this: It may take more than a new field to fill Twins stadium.

Okay... Once again, Katherine Kersten has convinced me that the world is ending. Not like her buddies, the crazy Christian-Right ministers that speak of the apocalypse by God's righteous wrath...No...

Just the proof that Americans, and Minnesotans, in specific are going to hell in a hand-basket. Pardon the pun. But seriously... The fact that the No. 2 rated station for morning radio is a CHRISTIAN talk-show... Well...I makes me question my own existence as a regular Minnesotan. See...

I brought my wife from a fairly normal, comfortable existence in the UK, to a place that I claimed (at the time) was a great Democratic/Liberal state, with normal people that were socially leaning, and basically good. And since we've moved here... I've come to discover that I was completely wrong. Minnesota is turning into a haven for the conservatives, and it's making me really question my decisions about moving back to the United States. I mean... I always said that I wasn't terribly fond of the government in my home country. But you see... I always had "Minnesota," the state that I was from. The one state in the country that voted for Mondale against Reagan. The Dukakis State... You know... No matter what... Minnesota would vote for the Democrat against a Republican candidate for the President. Oh... We may have a Republican Governor every now and again... But in general... We were a great "Liberal Bastion Against the Conservative Right, and Evil."

Not anymore.

What are tickets to the UK running at the mo'?

Gah.

Okay... Again.. To end on a good note... Since I seem to have so FEW of the buggers...

Robot Chicken's "Darth Vader and Son Talk" This is great... As it pokes fun at ALL of the inconsistencies and strangeness of the whole "Star Wars" saga. Muahahhahahahaha.

I'm off like a prom dress....

-- Tuckmac