Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Well, it's July 4th.

A day that the American's celebrate their "independence" from the British Empire.

I suppose I should say something particularly patriotic, filled with vitriol against the evil forces of chaos and terror that are screaming for the blood of innocent Americans.

But I won't. I don't really DO that sort of shite. If you want that sort of thing, I'd go look up Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter... I'm a peace-loving liberal.

I've watched my country become more and more spooky, and Orwellian since the current administration got into power.

So... I can't find the needed ingredients for my patriotism to come to the fore.

Instead, I'll use today to pray for my land... To hope that on the day that we celebrate the birth of our wonderful country, we also sit back and reflect on just what the United States of America is SUPPOSED to be about. To concentrate and meditate on the wonders of our home, the freedoms that we have, the life-style that we receive, the lives that we are able to live due to our birthplace.

I use today to praise what my country is meant to be, rather than what it has become. I use today to pray and hope that someday, it will again be the amazing place that stood up to the most powerful Empire in the world, and said: "NO. No more are we your subjects!" And showed the world that the people were not only ABLE to govern themselves, but were also rather bloody good at it.

I love my country. And I hope it get's well soon.

-- Tuckmac