Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Prints are up!

Greetings...

My title says it all... The prints are up on the walls... And the space looks nifty and I'm excited.

I'm still messing with the "research" in my studio space, but I've taken all the shite off the walls, and thrown away a tonne of stuff, and so... It's happening.

I had to help my lady with her sculpture today. Since she's graduated from KIAD, and no longer a student... Insurance won't allow Fiona to use certain facilities here on campus. She can BE here, but she's not allowed to use stuff like ban-saws or the big metal cutter. She's been able to get pretty much the whole thing done without needing to use those "big" sorts of things... But the final element of her sculpture is wood cut in a "toothed-pattern" so it sort of looks like a crazy saw from the side. She's tried hand-held jig-saws, and actually went and bought a scroll-saw... But nothing was working. She tried to get around the insurance thing by fluttering her eyelashes at some of the KIAD technicians, but even her most salient features seemed to fall on blind eyes, and deaf ears.

Thus comes the Tuckmac... That's right... I'm still a student here... So I walked on down to the workshop and turned on a big ol' ban-saw and spent an hour and a half today cutting her wood stuff for her.

I'm great.

Anyhoo... On to Tuckmac's political ranting... I know you were starting to wonder...

I was reading the BBC On-line and found this link:
Bush under fire from Press. And I just had to go to the NY Times and check out the editorial that the Beeb was talking about... (Use BugMeNot, if you need to) Waiting for a Leader. It had the marvellous beginning:
"George W. Bush gave one of the worst speeches of his life yesterday, especially given the level of national distress and the need for words of consolation and wisdom." And also has this great line:
"And nothing about the president's demeanor yesterday - which seemed casual to the point of carelessness - suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis."

I love the NY Times... They're a good ol' Liberal-slanted newspaper with all sorts of good things to say about my president.

{evil chuckles}

Finally... From the Twin Cities Own City Pages:
Divine Intervention Okay... So, why is it that anti-abortion campaigners can't seem to campaign against abortion without resorting to evil tricks and misrepresentations? Why? Look... I'm one of those really annoying people that says that I'm against abortion, but pro-choice. This tends to drive people from both sides of the metaphysical wall mad. But it's true. Morally, and spiritually, I find abortion to be a horrible thing. It IS. I'm not one of the "life begins at conception" bullshitters, but... No matter what... You're ending the possibility of life. Okay... It's just not a good thing.

BUT!!!! I do not think that it should be illegal... I do not think that anti-abortionists are right, and I will stand up with any woman fighting for her right to choose.

Why? 'Cause I'm a firm believer in the separation of church and state. I am getting exceedingly tired of religion poking it fucking head into my country's democracy.

If you don't want an abortion, 'cause you think it's a sin, then... Don't FUCKING HAVE ONE! You, however, do NOT have the right to enforce your values onto someone else! It's just that simple. Your sin is someone else's medical procedure, and that's just the way the world works.

Fucking bastard Christian-right blowhards!

Ger...

Okay... Rant over... On to work.

Slànte!
T