Friday, March 24, 2006

My Case for the Separation of Church and State.

I mean, I honestly am REALLY, REALLY tired of all of this crap.

Here's where my country WAS:

    Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

-- Link

The "Separation between Church and State" is actually from a Letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptist Congregation in 1802. (Library of Congress Link)

You see... There's a serious problem in our (US) government today. That problem, fine readers, is religion. Religion has insidiously crept it's slimy trail into our (US) government. I briefly touched on this subject in Wednesday's Blog review of "V for Vendetta." the film. This problem, is that the movement of the Christian Right further and further into our law-buildings, and government offices is slowly destroying our country. They're agenda is to do NO LESS than take away our rights, and lead us down the corridors of the next Nazi Regime, and the showers at the end of that corridor are filled with the faithful, as well as the faith-less.

You see, folks... My government got a bit messed up. It's not the "Founding Father's" fault... Well, I guess it sort of is... But they didn't know what they were doing. You see... The "Founding Fathers" of the U.S. Government were, for the most part, Deists and Freemasons. They were of the belief (as many were at that time) in Science, and human philosophy, not in giving power to the church. (They were also a bit weird, but I'm not going to dwell on Freemasonry, or anything like that today)... No.

The "Founding Fathers" were worried that if the government interfered with Religion or had ONE STATE RELIGION, then OTHER religion's rights would be infringed upon.

Okay.

This makes sense.

What they forgot to do, however... Was to make sure that religion didn't start sliding under the court-room door as soon as they turned their backs. For them, saying that the government could not legislate against the church, ended the problem. What they ALSO should have done is make sure that the church ALSO can not legislate to the STATE.

Today's Examples:
Ouster of the Easter Bunny draws unwanted attention to St. Paul - (The State (or City in this case) has decided that the symbol of the Easter Bunny is not P.C. But in doing so... They've actually violated the first Amendment. "The free exercise thereof - of religion".

Faith is focus of rally over marriage amendment The opposite... "Religion" making it's case in the government's sphere.

I actually yelled, the other night. I kid you not. I yelled. I am so upset with my country at the moment. I am really really disturbed at the current movement of the Christian Right in America.

Fellow U.S. Citizens... When J.F.K. was elected, many of you worried that the U.S. would be controlled by the Pope in Rome, due to J.F.K.'s Catholicism.

Luckily... The Pope had nothing to do with anything during Kennedy's term in office.

Do you NOT SEE the current danger? Do you not see that although fundamentalist Christians have no "world leader" that may "control the U.S. Government" from abroad, that the danger is the same? The danger to our rights and freedoms are being slowly and carefully infringed upon, by the Christian Right's movement?

Am I the only person in the U.S. right now who is NOT blind? Am I alone? Am I howling out in the middle of the wilderness without anyone around to scream WITH me to the philistines in the Government and Churches?

My God, my God... Forgive them, for they do not know what they do. - Jesus

Any gods... Any gods... Get the hell out of my government! - Tuckmac