Thursday, December 15, 2005

Decisions

My Lady and I had a long talk yesterday. You see, we've been waffling about our futures.

Yes... The talk was a rather deep discussion. Anyhoo...

For a long while, we thought that perhaps since she was from Britain, and I was from the States, we'd look for work in BOTH places. You know, to cover the bases. This was also because Fiona is not going to be able to BE here in the States for very long, as her visa is still in process, and will take a year or more before she's allowed permanent residency. I don't want to be away from my wife for that long.

The idea that we had come up with, was that we would both look for our dream jobs me, here in the U.S. and her back in the U.K. If she found her dream job in Britain, then I'd pack up, and move to England to try to find a job too... And conversely... If I found my dream job here in the States, then she'd come over here, as soon as her visa was sorted, to find a job over here.

It seemed to be a wonderful idea.

But it was flawed. By both of us looking in separate countries, too many issues were brought into play. The most worrying would be that both of us would find our dream jobs on separate sides of the pond, thus causing some consternation. But there were other issues.

Anyhoo... After discovering that I wouldn't be teaching a J-Term class at River Falls... And receiving some new news from our immigration attorney... We decided that we would just buckle down, and give it a go in the States.

It's still scary.

It's still up in the air.

We're still a mess.

But by making a firm "married couple" decision to stay here and tough it out... We've actually been able to focus our drive, and thus really make a concerted effort at finding our futures.

Depression is something that we're both fighting off, but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Wish us luck, gentle readers... We are really going to need it.

Smiles,
T