Monday, April 03, 2006

Okay, addendum today...

Arrgh...

All right... I already posted today (see below) but I couldn't help but to post again in order to allow a brief rant:

Reading the Washington Post today, and came across this article:
'War' on Christians Is Alleged
Conference Depicts a Culture Hostile to Evangelical Beliefs


The biter for this one? Tom DeLay (yeah, that one) said this little doozy:
    In a luncheon speech yesterday, DeLay took issue with the "chattering classes" who think there is no war on Christians.

    "We are after all a society that abides abortion on demand, that has killed millions of innocent children, that degrades the institution of marriage and often treats Christianity like some second-rate superstition. Seen from this perspective, of course there is a war on Christianity," he said.

I mean, come ON... First off a douche-bag like DeLay speaking about his "faith" and pretending to be a good Christian, just cheeses me the fuck off... But beyond the vehicle for this particular piece of horse-manure, I mean... I mean...

GAH!!!

Another quote from the article:
    To many of the 400 evangelicals packed into a small ballroom at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, it was a hard but necessary look at moral relativism, hedonism and Christophobia, or fear of Christ, to pick just a few terms offered by various speakers referring to the enemy

Moral relativism? Hedonism?? and Christophobia???

Christophobia, the fear of Christ. That's a new one on me, when discussing AMERICA! For crying out loud...

I find it interesting that I am treating Christians like the "Jews of the 21st Century" (also from the article). Please... I don't think that that's a fair assessment. I mean, Hitler was actually WRONG to kill Jewish people... I'm not so certain we should...

Just kidding... I'm not going to finish that thought. But you know where I was going.

Folks... I was raised as a good little Irish-Catholic boy. I went to Catholic Schools... I was baptised, confirmed, Catholic.

Christ is a good friend of mine... I really like the guy, I prayed to him for 25 years of my life. The fact that I've stopped praying to Christ isn't 'cause I've become a hedonist, nor is it because I'm morally relativistic. No, it's 'cause of the damn Christians.

When my mother worries that I've "fallen away" from the Church (bless her) I keep trying to explain my reasoning... But simply it's this: If you read the Bible, I mean... Really, read, the, Bible... You will start to see just what's wrong with organised religion today.

Christ (in speaking with the Pharisees) said: There are but two commandments... Love God before all other things, and Love your neighbour as yourself.

Love.

That's it, folks... Love. That's Christ's message to the planet Earth. And what do we get from our churches?

Constitutional Amendments on Gay Marriage (banning it) Where's the love?
War in Iraq is a Crusade against the Muslim Heathen... Where's the love?
Helping the Poor? Na... Euthanasia is more important to argue about. Where's the love?
Abortion is evil (ban it) But to hell with the mother... Where's the love?

I could continue.

Again, I'm finding myself having to defend those of us that don't go to a church... Don't believe in spreading OUR particular brand of "religion" to others through force... Believe that God/god/Yahweh/Allah/Krishna are all elements of the same universal beauty...

Man. I'm just so cheesed off...

I don't have "Christophobia" I have "Christianophobia" and hopefully you'll understand the semantic difference.

--- Tuckmac