Sunday, November 26, 2006

Hmmm.... Argh....

Well, after my friend N8 said I was getting "a bit moderate" due to my comments on the Rummy affair yesterday (read the comments from yesterday's post) I thought I should put up a link that helps to "re-infuse" my liberalness in my blog...

I get an e-mail from Michael Moore, whenever he gets around to writing a "letter" to his "peeps" or whatever, and there's a link to this letter on his website.

The letter was good. Honestly. And it goes a long way towards saying the things that I wish I could've said. Damn. I'm just not a writer, I guess. Anyhoo... Here's the "Michael Moore's Letter to the Democrats: Cut and Run"

A few highlights, before I convince you to read the letter?
    There are many ways to liberate a country. Usually the residents of that country rise up and liberate themselves. That's how we did it. You can also do it through nonviolent, mass civil disobedience. That's how India did it. You can get the world to boycott a regime until they are so ostracized they capitulate. That's how South Africa did it. Or you can just wait them out and, sooner or later, the king's legions simply leave (sometimes just because they're too cold). That's how Canada did it.

    The one way that DOESN'T work is to invade a country and tell the people, "We are here to liberate you!" -- when they have done NOTHING to liberate themselves. Where were all the suicide bombers when Saddam was oppressing them? Where were the insurgents planting bombs along the roadside as the evildoer Saddam's convoy passed them by? I guess ol' Saddam was a cruel despot -- but not cruel enough for thousands to risk their necks. "Oh no, Mike, they couldn't do that! Saddam would have had them killed!" Really? You don't think King George had any of the colonial insurgents killed? You don't think Patrick Henry or Tom Paine were afraid? That didn't stop them. When tens of thousands aren't willing to shed their own blood to remove a dictator, that should be the first clue that they aren't going to be willing participants when you decide you're going to do the liberating for them.
Oh, and here's another good quote from the letter:
    So I don't want to hear another word about sending more troops (wake up, America, John McCain is bonkers), or "redeploying" them, or waiting four months to begin the "phase-out." There is only one solution and it is this: Leave. Now. Start tonight. Get out of there as fast as we can. As much as people of good heart and conscience don't want to believe this, as much as it kills us to accept defeat, there is nothing we can do to undo the damage we have done. What's happened has happened. If you were to drive drunk down the road and you killed a child, there would be nothing you could do to bring that child back to life. If you invade and destroy a country, plunging it into a civil war, there isn't much you can do 'til the smoke settles and blood is mopped up. Then maybe you can atone for the atrocity you have committed and help the living come back to a better life.
Okay... There... Thank you Mike!

Just so's you know... I realise that N8 was giving me a well deserved bit of shite... But to my OTHER readers that may have wondered... I'm still a Liberal! Ger!

;-)

-- T